Problematic/Need for Reform
Article 16 (PS ONLY MENTIONED THE PROBLEMATIC SECTION OF ARTICLE 16; PLEASE VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST ON MPCE)
The Coordination Unit of NGO activities guides and coordinates the activities of NGOs across the country.
It also performs the following duties:
- Study programs and projects of the files submitted by these organizations based on the priorities of the National Development Plan and the opinion of the sectors concerned.
- Make appropriate recommendations, where appropriate it, the Ministry of Planning and External Cooperation
- Ensuring the necessary steps to solve the administrative problems posed by private aid.
- Maintain the list of NGOs operating in the country.
- Present at the end of each financial year the balance of NGO activities.
Article 18 (PS ONLY MENTIONED THE PROBLEMATIC SECTION OF ARTICLE 18; PLEASE VIEW THE COMPLETE LIST ON THE LINK)
To fulfill the above-mentioned tasks, the County Council for Coordination and Supervision of NGO activities have the following powers:
- Inform NGO priorities identified in National Development Programs and direct them to projects identified by the people of the localities concerned.
- Assist NGOs in formulating their programs and projects.
- Inform the Ministry of Planning and External Cooperation of the progress of planned activities and their effects on the well-being of the target populations by quarterly reports.
- Bringing together representatives of NGOs based in the Department every six months.
- To facilitate the practical solution of the problems they face in implementing their programs.
- Perform any other tasks that may lead to the coordination of NGOs.
In the United States, nonprofits have Form 1023 and Form 990; the difference is that the government does not insert itself in the organization as a dictator. Form 1023 asks for a separate document to showcase your past, present, and future activities; however, it does not dictate what your organization should focus on. The reason both Article 16 and 18 are on my blacklist is that a government should not be taking the role of a board of director nor stakeholder. The management of a nonprofit internally, as well as externally, is influenced by the regulations set before them; whereas they need to comply with tax regulations by keeping proper records (bookkeeping); however, Haiti does not recognize modern software like Quickbooks, Quicken, Microsoft Dynamics GP to name a few. This serious detriment sets nonprofits back decades.